Name of Activity: Mock Crime Scene
Name of Activity :
Final Mock Crime Scene
Description of Activity:
A mock crime scene is prepared as students form teams and “work” through the crime scene as if they were criminal investigators.
Procedure for Activity:
- Students and their teammates must put into practice all of the skills and activities that we have practiced throughout the year.
- Some activities are (but not limited to):
- Crime Scene photography (full crime scene photos and completed log),
- an official NC Incident report completed and a full set of field notes)
- an official NC Evidence report completed and all relevant evidence on the scene “bagged and tagged”,
- Crime Scene sketch using proper measurement methods, AFIS Fingerprint retrieval, etc.
Result of Activity:
Each student team is to submit their findings of the case and they are graded on their productivity and efficiency.
General Thoughts of Activity:
- This activity is fun way for the student to role-play through a crime scene and an investigation. I “play” the role of a complainant and other characters as well.
- It also allows for nice cumulative “wrap-up” to our course and it is conducted the last day of the semester.
- I do not grade students traditionally for the results of the activity, (i.e. your fingerprints look like a “B”) just mandate that they show up and try hard to do the best they can.
- This Mock Crime Scene is scheduled after the formal, written final exam of the semester. I like for it be pressure-free and fun, but also slightly competitive between the two teams of “investigators”.