Here are some characteristics of Excellent Online Instructors:
1. Visibility – the excellent online instructor can establish presence and is present frequently in the online environment.
2. Compassion – defined by openness, concern, flexibility, fairness, and honesty — the excellent online instructor expresses sincere positive regard for students and delivers student-focused, student-centered instruction.
3. Communication – the excellent online instructor communicates with students frequently, provides substantive feedback, and communicates well using technology.
4. Commitment – the excellent online instructor is not only a passionate and committed teacher, but sees the value in teaching online and see the facilitated model of teaching as rigorous and powerful. The excellent online instructor is motivated and a good motivator.
5. Organization – the excellent online instructor is organized and a good time-manager.
Palloff, R. M. & Pratt, K. (2011). The excellent online instructor: Strategies for professional development. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass